Saturday, May 18, 2013

One.

It seems hard to measure one whole year in such a small word. Today Owen and Aaron are One Year Old boys. Not one day. Not one week. Not one month. But one YEAR.
One year ago today I had been on bedrest for just under a month. My doctor wanted me to save up my calories for Baby B, as he was measuring on the smaller side, and not growing at the same rate as his brother.
My only adventures out of the house included a bazillion doctor’s appointments and ultrasounds, which I looked forward to immensely. If the doctors would have told me I needed to have an ultrasound every day of my pregnancy, I would have been beyond giddy. I loved laying on the plastic bed in the dark room, my husband beside me, holding hands, watching the TV monitor at what appeared to be static, to slowly begin to hear the 2 healthy heartbeats of my babies and then see them kicking and squirming around inside of me. Those appointments were the assurance I needed and craved and I loved every second of them.
As much as I loved “seeing” my babies via sonogram, there wasn’t a day that went by towards the end of my pregnancy that I didn’t secretly hope that “this” would be the day. I wanted to hold my babies. I wanted to be a mommy.
On Friday, May 18, 2012, I woke up with some new symptoms and called my doctor. I was 35 weeks and 2 days pregnant with twins, a major feat in the twin-mommy-to-be world. As I had just seen the perinatologist the day before and everything looked good, I assumed my doctor would tell me to keep resting. My scheduled C-section was just 5 days away, and let me tell you, I was counting. I was surprised when my doctor told me to come in for a quick check-up. Little did I know, I wouldn’t be returning home until I brought my 2 babies with me.
Owen Andrew (Baby A) and Aaron Joseph (Baby B) arrived at 6:34pm that hot, sunny, Spring day. Hearing each baby cry for the first time, and then having my husband bring each baby over and place their tiny bodies next to my face are life-changing moments that surpassed my wildest dreams.
Welcome to this world!
This past year has been life’s biggest blessing. There was a long stretch of time that went by when the milestone of becoming parents seemed impossible. The journey of infertility was painfully stabbing, heartwrenching and real.  I often questioned if maybe Motherhood might not be in God’s plan for me. I am forever thankful that it was, and I do not take any day of it for granted.
365 days is a long time to sum up in words. We have celebrated moving up to the next diaper size, sleeping for more than 2 ½ hours at a stretch, and pooping after a 5 day hiatus. We have applauded rolling over, first crawls, and climbing stairs. We have felt the warmth of not one, but two sleeping babies on our chests, the times you know your physical presence alone is powerful enough to soothe a crying soul. We have experienced the looks of strangers staring in awe as a sleep-deprived (but showered!) new mom tackles a double stroller from the trunk of the car, unfolds, clicks in 2 infant car seats (with sleeping babies tucked inside), attaches a diaper bag, bottles, purse, and water bottle in 95 degree weather and somehow manages to open the double doors and push the stroller-limo inside to arrive on-time to our babies’ first doctor appointment.
We have been overcome with joy as we see our boys light up and smile as we enter the room or return home from work knowing they recognize their momma and daddy. I have learned to eat breakfast, go to the bathroom, fold 2 baskets of laundry, and put my hair in a ponytail in under 30 seconds. We can no longer view our household furniture as anything but the latest and greatest climbing equipment. We have witnessed our boys become built-in playmates and best friends. We have cheered when peas and macaronis have made it safely into their mouths, instead of dropped onto the floor for Brady’s next treat. I have felt ragged, please-pass-the-toothpicks so I can prop my eyelids open, physical exhaustion, only to be followed by hearing my baby say “ma-ma” and feeling as though someone just refueled my gas tank.
In one year it’s been the highest of highs: two babies smiling, two babies giggling with that deep belly-roll laughter, two babies reaching up to you for some extra time on your lap. Two babies who find comfort in not only their parents, but in each other, too.
And while it hasn’t always been all peaches and cream: there have been two babies crying, twice the diapers and dishes. Two babies teething, the messier-than-you’d-like house, two babies to teach to sleep through the night (still learning…), two babies needing your undivided attention at the exact.same.minute. Many days are filled with constant chaos and things don’t always go as planned (eek!). There are times when you wonder if you should throw on your referee shirt and whistle. The constant demands that do not go away, just because the sun went down. It’s taking 45 minutes to get into the car for a field trip to the local coffee drive-through, to get there and order, and arriving back home to realize that you drove away without actually getting your coffee. Oops.
But, my friends. THIS is the life I have dreamed of and prayed for. All of it. We are so grateful for each moment this past year and cannot wait for what is to come! We are so beyond blessed with 2 healthy boys. Owen Andrew and Aaron Joseph, you have filled my year with more happiness that I ever imagined possible.


Happy 1st Birthday to my little loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment