Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Testing 1, 2, 3... (Summer in Review)

Testing, Testing...
Testing, Testing 1, 2...
Testing, Testing 1, 2, 3...

4, 5, 6. 7. 8. 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17......................

Ahhhh, what a summer. There has been more testing going on around here than at a public school during the month of April. This summer at home with my newly turned 3 year old boys was a challenging one for me. I spent my days feeling much more like a referee than a mom. The constant bickering with each other "He took that away from meeeeeeeee," fighting over toys "But, Ieeeeeee had that firrrrrrrrrst," and some good old fashioned tantrums after screaming for what they wanted didn't end up getting them their way.

This is hard for me to write, but I am tired of trying to encourage healthy breakfasts when all they want is ice cream and will remind me so for almost 2 hours. I am tired of constantly searching the house for their "little blue tow truck" when it is no where to be found and we need to get out the door. I am tired of trying to figure out that what they meant by "little blue tow truck" actually meant "drag racer with flames," and that is why I couldn't find what they wanted. I'm tired of trying to get them to actually sit at the table for meals instead of twisting themselves up in our curtains, ketchup face and all, as they decide lunch is the perfect time to play hide and go seek with each other.

I know all of these things are totally normal behavior for 3 year olds, it is just so mentally exhausting dealing with it day in and day out with not one child, but two.

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!

Out of all of the stages with our twins, I truly think this one has been the most difficult for me. Time-outs don't work, negotiating doesn't work...I'm obviously still trying to figure out what does work to get 3 year olds to listen. I lay in bed at night wondering what I could have done differently and try not to feel like such a failure. 3 just hasn't looked good on me as a mom.

The good news is that, to most of you, my boys will look like happy, well-adjusted little people. Because when they are happy and getting along with each other, it is a beautiful thing. I try to record their little conversations with each other in my head, and remember the way they hold hands with each other (without being asked to) in parking lots or just randomly throw their arms around each other for a hug. They way they call each other "Buddy" and the way they constantly ask about each other when they are apart. It can truly be just so, so sweet.

So, as I pack my school bag tonight to head back to school tomorrow, it is always bittersweet for me. Despite all the struggles of managing 3 year old behavior, deep down I am so very thankful to have spent every waking second of my summer with my littles. I will never grow tired of their hugs, their requests to sit in my lap, hearing them say, "you look bootiful momma" out of the blue, or laying with them for hours as they try to take a nap or go to bed every night (okay...nevermind...that is getting really old).

Sooooo with that, I leave you with some of our happy moments from this summer....






















No comments:

Post a Comment